Thursday, February 23, 2012


Cedar Plank Tuna Steak! ohh that kinda rhymes doesn't it? Well one of my recent discoveries is the tuna steak. I have had tuna I would say in the normal form smoothered on mayo, pickels and served on bread, or the frequently tuna sushi I love to eat. This is a new great find for me. I love steak, love it, but eating steak every other day is not to good. I find this as a great steak replacement. It doesn't take long to cook and whatever you season, base, sauce, or marinate it in will soak in the flavor. Using planks to cook gives off a amazing smoke flavor and acts as a steamer due to it being saturated with water. You can use untreated  alder, oak, maple, cherry or apple. You can also soak these in just plan water or use flavored liquids like wine or marinates. If you can't find wood on your own many stores carry these in their bar b cue areas. I used teriyaki sauce for this tuna steak but your free to try any number of sauces, seasonings, and methods.

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 375 gas grill or heat coals to white on grill
Soak cedar planks in water or liquids for at least 1-4 hours or overnight.
Once oven or grill is hot preheat the plank for 3 minutes prior to cooking.
Lightly season tuna with salt pepper then base with the teriyaki sauce.
Place the tuna on the cedar plank.
For oven place on a half sheet pan.
Cook tuna for about 10 minutes for medium rare 125F well 130-135F
Serve right on the plank or on a dish.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment